Brother Jackie Jerome Marks
The Flint (Michigan) Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. was chartered on 3/15/1947. Because there were Kappa Men in Lansing who had extensive professional and personal relationships with Kappa Men in Flint, they began meeting together and became “unofficially” the Flint-Lansing Alumni Chapter. This unofficial chapter name was never endorsed or accepted by the National Office of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. and this unofficial relationship existed until the Lansing Alumni Chapter was chartered on April 05, 1981.
Prior to the chartering of Lansing Alumni Chapter, the Kappa Men (and their Silhouettes) of the Flint-Lansing Alumni Chapter engaged in productive fraternal programs and activities:
- The monthly Fraternity meetings were held alternately in Flint and Lansing in the home of a hosting brother. Most of the time, these meeting went late, late, late in the evening.
- The office of Polemarch was held by Brothers living in Flint and Lansing alternately.
- The annual KAΨ Dinner Dance was held alternately in Flint (Grand Blanc Country Club) and Lansing (University Club of MSU). This was truly THE social, event of Mid-Michigan. The Dinner Dance assessment was part of the Annual dues and non-financial Brothers could not attend the event. Additionally, the Sweetheart song and the Kappa Hymn were sung and that was it. NO SPEECHES & INTRODUCTIONS.
- The annual Family Picnic was held at Kensington Park and was well attended by brothers and their families.
In the early Seventies, the Flint-Lansing Alumni Chapter petitioned Province Polemarch John D Russell to suspend Delta Pi Chapter for three years to allow all of the students (athletes and non-athletes) involved in a series of altercations, to complete their athletic eligibility/academic programs and leave the area. This petition was appreciated and approved by the Province and National offices. John D. Russell and Province Keeper of Records Charlie Smith were impressed how the brothers “rescued” Delta Pi.
The Flint-Lansing Alumni Chapter also advised MSU to raise the GPA from 2.0 to 2.5 due to probation issues (pledges becoming academically ineligible)
The process of establishing the Lansing Alumni Chapter took approximately two years and it was not an acrimonious process among the Brothers. Brothers John Russell and Charles Smith were more concerned about the implications of this action on what was viewed as a very productive “Flint-Lansing Alumni Chapter.”
Willard Walker was the Polemarch during this transition period and he adroitly steered the process successfully. He was quoted
“We came established but we came to work for the community.” The Lansing brothers had the objective to be engaged in the community.
Lansing Alumni Chapter’s first meeting was held May 01, 1981
(Original letter provided by Brother Henderson)
To: Brothers, Lansing Alumni Chapter-Henderson
From: William J. Gamble, Jr.
Date: April 27, 1981
REF: Meeting – May 1, 1981
The Lejon Building
1801 West Main Street
Lansing, MI 48906
This is the first official meeting of the newly chartered Lansing Alumni Chapter. We need your support please plan to attend this meeting.
A number of important activities will be discussed:
1. First Annual KAY Back and White Ball – Saturday, May 30th –University Club MSU East Lansing, MI.
2. Pictures are available from Charter Reception. Come prepared to place your order
Amount Paid Balance
3. Dues – Non-life member 160.00…….
Life and Subscribing Life Member 125.00..
Lansing Alumni Chapter new programs and achievements since chartered include:
- Black and White Ball
- Founders Day
- Kappa Express Youth Football Program
- United Negro College Fund
- The Leadership Forum
- The Patengill Mentoring Program
- Started the Black Greek Council
- Began the Lansing Association of Black Organizations
- Young Spartan Program at MSU
- Rescue Mission Soup Kitchen
- Kappa Kabaret
- Meeting on the Bus (MOB)
- Kappa Golf Outing (Later changed to the Dunnings Golf Outing)
- Masquerade Ball
- Code Red Men of Kappa events
The First Polemarch was Willard Walker (1981 – 1984)
Mike Pillow (1984-1985-one year only)
Willard Walker (1985 – 1987)
Bill Burke (1987-1989)
Roger Groves (1989 – 1990)
Kirk Branson (1990 – 1994)
George Cannon (1994 – 1996)
Julian Darden (1996 – 2000)
Greg McKay (2000 – 2002)
Stuart Chavis (2002 – 2004)
James Butler (2004 – 2006)
James Carter (2006 – 2008)
Ron (Doc) Bishop (2008 – 2010)
William Doxie (2010 – 2012)
Kahil Watson (2012-2014)
Lansing Alumni Chapter has hosted two Provincial Meetings: 1996 and 2006
One of Lansing Alumni attributes is the mixture of older and younger brother who have a special bond.